Bought a beautiful (looking) skein of handspun wool thinking I’d make a cowl. Things didn’t work out. It wasn’t nearly enough, and while the skein looked beautiful, it was not really great for knitting, being under and overspun. In a fit of craziness I decided to make it a hat. For days when only wacky headwear will do.
A fun and fast gift for a friend’s kitties. I received a video of the reactions! So I made one for mine and it was snubbed. Felted sweaters and random embroidery floss, stuffed with vintage polyfill and organic catnip.
The second of the friend’s much-loved thrift shop sweaters that had been used as meals by the moths. This time mended with needle-felted roving; much quicker and easier than the thread used previously, especially since this piece had more and larger holes.
A friend’s beloved thrift shop find was munched by moths. I mended the holes, then covered them with Japanese Banku thread. For the bottom squiggle I was able to needle-felt the thread into place, but it would not stay attached for the top two…so I couched all of them.
(Apologies for the image quality – it was a gray day and getting late. And the top is actually an olivey green, just paler than the thread.)
Thrift store tunic find: loved the crazy abstract floral watercolors and the fit, except for the prissy, too tight sleeves. So, off they came. It would have worked sleeveless, but I don’t wear sleeveless. Old (ancient but unworn) t-shirt to the rescue, the sleeves were a good fit at the armholes. Just plain it looked like a vest over tshirt, but adding the stitching pulled it together. Yay once more for the embroidery floss stash!
I have accumulated dozens of packages of needles over time, sometimes for specific needs, sometimes because the package is vintage and wonderful. My go-to package was in dire straits. Inspired by Local and Bespoke’s needle case (http://localandbespoke.com/2013/08/05/small-things/), I made one of my own.
Cuffs cut off from another project in the works, some scrap fabric and embroidery floss from my ludicrously large stash….I have no idea what that stitch on the outside is, I made it up as I was going along to cover and add strength to the join of the 2 cuffs. I’m calling it “tiddly corset” stitch.
This was a favorite sweater vest belonging to my grandfather. It ended up in my parents’ attic where it was snacked on by moths. Needle-felting additions took care of the holes, and now it keeps the french press coffee warm. Lined with leftover cotton, layered with batting.
This yarn had a mind of its own as to what it wanted to become. I tried 5 different things before this finally came together. And I learned another important lesson: if your yarn hides under the sofa while knitting, pull it out to check on it before ALMOST reaching the end of the project. I found I was out of yarn 3 rows and bind-off short. Thus the mohair trim edge, cord and pompoms.